Region 16 is proud to announce the Amarillo Highland Park Board of Trustees has been named the 2022 Outstanding School Board of the Year for our region.
“Highland Park ISD is an innovative and forward-thinking board that puts kids first. We’re very confident they will represent Region 16 well at the next level.”
Troy Seagler – Region 16 Associate Executive Director
Education Service Centers across the state nominate school boards in their region for this honor. The award is presented by the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA).
School boards nominated to represent their regions are in the running to be named one of five Texas Honor Boards, one of which is chosen as Texas' Outstanding School Board. All regional nominees and honor boards are recognized at the TASA/TASB Convention, which takes place each fall.
The following criteria was considered when selecting the school board to represent the region:
- Function as a policy-making body
- Adherence to adopted board policies
- Support for educational performance
- Support for education improvement projects and school transformation
- Commitment to a code of ethics
- Provision of financial support for the school system
- Participation in workshops and improvement programs
- Placement of the welfare of children above personal or political motives
- Public relation efforts
- Maintenance of harmonious and supportive relationship among board members
TASA created the School Board Awards Program in 1971 to recognize those school boards that have demonstrated outstanding dedication and rendered ethical service to the children of Texas. The criteria emphasize evidence of support for educational performance improvement.
Highland Park ISD will represent Region 16 at the 2022 TASA/TASB Convention this September in San Antonio.